Although to this day the origin of the migraine is still unknown, experts point out that there are several factors related to its appearance such as stress, hormonal changes or problems related to sleep.
Another factor that is believed to be related to the onset of migraine is diet. Our intestine, with the DAO enzyme, metabolizes and eliminates histamine from food, since if it is not eliminated it passes into the blood producing migraines, tachycardias, overweight or constipation.
What is a migraine?
Migraine is a type of headache caused by a wide variety of possible factors. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) it is one of the 20 most disabling pathologies and 13% of the population between the ages of 20 and 50 suffer in Spain. One of the big problems of this pathology is that at least a third of those who suffer from it have never been diagnosed and resort to self-medication, aggravating their symptoms.
Migraine appears as a crisis that can last for hours or days and the headache can be accompanied by photophobia, phonophobia, nausea and vomiting.
What is the relationship between migraine and diet?
Histamine is a substance present in our body that is essential to perform some vital functions. When this substance has high levels, either due to food, or because the body generates too much, it causes some reactions, including migraine.
The real problem is not really histamine, but the amount of DAO enzyme present in our body, since its deficiency is what causes that histamine cannot be metabolized.
People with food allergies or pathologies such as atopic dermatitis may have low DAO enzyme activity and therefore be more sensitive to histamine. In addition, recent studies have pointed out that this problem affects more women than men and that, during pregnancy, migraine episodes are reduced because the DAO enzyme multiplies by 500.
What does the THIS migraine screening test include?
There is a test that allows us to accurately detect DAO enzyme levels in our body and thus know if there is a deficit that can cause migraines to appear. It consists of a simple blood test that you must go on an empty stomach and that cannot be done during pregnancy. Before doing this test, it is important that you consult about the medications you take, since some inhibit the action of the enzyme DAO.
At THIS we seek to offer all our patients the best medical services and that is why we work with Eurofins Megalab Canarias to offer you this migraine diagnostic test through our online store. If you are thinking of acquiring this test through our store, we tell you all its advantages:
- Instant confirmation: Once you have purchased or reserved for free the treatment, consultation or analysis you want, you will receive a confirmation in your email so that you can present it in the clinic.
- Fully personalized assistance: At THIS we speak your language and respond to all your needs. We offer specific assistance to answer your questions about the operation of the store or the products we offer in it through the email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full availability: Being an online store, we are open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.
- Maximum guarantee: All our treatments, consultations and tests have the same guarantee as if you buy them directly in each of the clinics.
You can purchase the migraine detection test through our online store for € 59 or you also have the possibility to book it completely free of charge and pay it later at your nearest Eurofins Megalab Canarias center.
Which foods are rich in histamine?
DAO enzyme deficiency has no treatment beyond avoiding alcohol, which inhibits the enzyme, and applying a series of changes to our diet. These are the foods rich in histamine that we must eliminate from our diet to avoid suffering migraine episodes:
- Foods with gluten: pastries, bread or pasta.
- Processed foods: Sausages and processed meats.
- Some fruits and vegetables: Among which we find tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, spinach, bananas, strawberries and citrus.
- Nuts: As well as white beans, peas, beans and brewer’s yeast.
- Dairy products
- Soy and derivatives