Obesity is considered by the World Health Organization as an epidemic and has become one of the main health problems in industrialized countries.
Today there are 300 million obese and one billion overweight people in the world. According to OECD data, obese people die between 8 and 10 years before those who are the correct weight. In fact, for every 15 kg extra, the risk of death increases by 30%.
For years, surgical treatments have been carried out to treat obesity, but research has led to the creation of non-surgical treatments aimed at improving the health and quality of life of people with severe obesity, that is, those who have a body mass index (BMI). ) greater than 40 Kg / m2. It is also indicated in people with a BMI greater than 35 Kg / m2 with associated diseases.
Video: Obesity treatment with intragastric ballon and POSE method
The Obesity treatment with intragastric ballon and POSE method treats obesity and returns the patient to a healthy weight.
What is the intragastric balloon?
This treatment is considered by specialists as one of the most effective and safe. It consists in introducing a silicone balloon inside the stomach of the patient with the aim of provoking a sensation of immediate and prolonged satiety. The feeling of fullness is generated because this device occupies a large part of the stomach.
The balloon has a duration of 12 months. During this time the patient follows a plan of weight loss and food re-education.
For whom is the intragastric balloon indicated?
The intragastric balloon is recommended for patients with these characteristics:
- A BMI between 27 and 40 Kg/m2
- Patients with a BMI greater than 40 Kg/m2 but with surgical limitations or who refuse surgical treatment
- It also serves as a “bridge” to an obesity surgery because it reduces the surgical risk
Specialists do not recommend the use of the intragastric balloon in people with inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (esophagitis, gastric ulcer, Crohn’s disease).
It’s also not recommended before gastric or intestinal surgery, or in patients with cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, or with esophageal varices, large hiatal hernia, pregnancy, lactation, allergic to silicone or psychological disorders.
Video: The effects after the placement of the balloon
During the first 4-7 days after placing the intragastric balloon the patient will notice gastric discomfort, nausea, vomiting and hypersalivation.
The advantages of the gastric balloon in the treatment of obesity
The 12 month balloon presents these advantages in the battle against overweight and obesity:
- It is a reversible procedure. It can be removed at any time
- The intervention is fast, simple and safe
- Allows you to lose between 15 and 35 kilos
- Increases the patient’s self-esteem and reduces anxiety
- No incisions are made during the insertion of the balloon, so you will not have scars
- The lost weight is not recovered because the patient re-educates their eating habits and adopts a healthier lifestyle.
- Lose weight while gaining quality of life reducing the risk of suffering diseases, both physical and psychological, associated with overweight and obesity.
The POSE technique in reducing stomach
POSE is a method to reduce the stomach without incisions. This is done orally by means of an endoscopy and consists of making folds in the gastric fundus to modify the size and reduce its capacity, in addition folds in the antrum slow down its emptying.
The purpose of this treatment is to create a feeling of constant satiety so that the patient feels satisfied by eating a small amount of food.
Patients suitable to reduce the stomach with the POSE method
Stomach reduction without incisions is especially indicated for:
- Overweight or obese patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 27 and 40, who have repeatedly failed with diets.
- It is also indicated in those patients who have regained weight after having undergone intragastric balloon treatment or who do not wish to undergo major surgery.
How long does the intervention last?
The surgery lasts about 50 minutes and is performed under general anesthesia. It is considered a low risk intervention and hospital admission is ambulatory or maximum 24 hours, as determined by the surgeon.
Recommendations to follow the days after the intervention
In the days after the intervention, a diet similar to the regimen followed in an obesity surgery should be followed.
When are the results visible?
With the POSE you can expect a weight loss of 45% -55% of the excess weight. Patients usually start weight loss during the first 4 weeks after the procedure, which is when they begin to feel the sensation of fullness.
To achieve optimal results, a program of re-education of eating habits and lifestyle must be followed. The success of the treatment will depend to a large extent on the level of commitment to the nutritional and psychological follow-up.
The five advantages of the POSE method
- Does not cause discomfort
- Decrease the risk of infection
- There are no external scars
- A faster recovery because there are no incisions or external wounds
- The hospital stay is shorter
HOSPITAL SAN JUAN DE DIOS TENERIFE
Obesity treatment with intragastric ballon and POSE method is offered by the Obesity Unit of the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Tenerife, which has a multidisciplinary team of professionals whose mission is to provide comprehensive care to people with a diagnosis of severe obesity.