Modern scientific advances have permitted the development of various diagnostic methods for the detection of a wide range of diseases. One of such methods is a diagnostic test by image, which stands out by the amount of information it offers to the diagnostics specialists and which may simultaneously serve as a treatment itself. This method is also known as interventional radiology. However, would you know how to select the best interventional radiology center in Tenerife? In this post we will explain what this method consists of and how to find the qualified center for this procedure.
What is interventional radiology?
Interventional radiology is a combination of techniques of image diagnostics which are used to diagnose, detect, identify and study in depth any problems in the blood and lymphatic vessels.
Tests of this type are also occasionally used as treatment, thus receiving its name – an image-guided therapy. For this reason these procedures may be exclusively carried out by professionals or interventional radiologists, who are both specialists in human anatomy and radiology.
What are the options that interventional radiology provides?
Diagnostic tests by image are minimally invasive procedures that include ultrasound, X-ray, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (MR). Amongst the most common procedures are the following:
- angiography by catheterization;
- vascular angioplasty;
- percutaneous gastrostomy;
- embolization of veins, myomas tumors, etc;
- venous and arterial fibrinolysis;
- percutaneous drainage of abscesses;
- colocation of tubes, prostheses or sondes in different area of the body.
Apart from the above mentioned procedures, interventional radiology is also used as a treatment for:
- vascular malformations;
- carotid artery lesions;
- Claudication and diabetic foot.
How to find an interventional radiology center in Tenerife?
The most important factors that you should consider before selecting the interventional radiology center are the following:
- Medical specialists’ recommendations. On many occasions the interventional radiology services are derived from other specialities. It is always recommended to follow the indications of the doctor who is treating you.
- Personalized attention. We believe that even a test should require an individual approach and personalized treatment.
- Proximity. This is very important in case you should need more than one day to carry out the tests, or in the case a treatment should require more time.
- Facilities and technical equipment. Interventional radiology centers are normally located within hospitals or clinics, allowing them access to all the necessary technological equipment and facilities.
- The expertise of the professionals. As mentioned above, it is key that Interventional Radiology specialists are qualified not just in the field of radiology diagnostics, but also qualified to give adequate treatment. For this reason it is important to pay attention to the years of experience and academic qualifications of the specialists.
Do you need to visit an interventional radiology center in Tenerife? San Juan de Dios hospital in Tenerife provides Interventional Radiology Services. Their professionals are highly qualified and experienced in the field of diagnostics and treatment. Book your appointment here.